Monday 30 March 2015

Curd Rice (Bagala Bath)

Needless to say,coming from a tambrahm family, we just can't live without this yogurt rice.My friends always tease me and wonder how I could be so crazy about curd rice. Leave me in an island with nothing but just curd rice, I would happily survive :). This will always be the finishing touch in any south Indian meal course.I always like to have curd rice in its virgin form with not much of add-on's. I have posted the recipe with simple and minimum tempering.Here is the recipe for yum yum curd rice:)



serves:2-3

Ingredients

  1. Raw Rice - 1 cup
  2. Milk -1.5 cup (Boiled and cooled)
  3. Fresh Curd/yogurt - 1.5 cup

Tempering

  1. Oil - 2 tsp
  2. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
  3. Urda Dhal-1 tsp
  4. Green chili - 1-2(finely chopped)
  5. Curry leaves - 3-4
  6. Asafoetida - a pinch
  7. Salt to taste

Garnishing

Grated carrot/pomegranates/green grapes/Cashew nuts - 1 tbsp


Method

1. Pressure Cook rice with 1:5 ratio (Rice:Water) so that the rice is overcooked.

2. Smash the rice,add yogurt, salt,milk and mix nicely.

3. Heat some oil in a pan,add mustard seeds.Once the mustard crackles,add urad dhal,green chili,curry leaves and saute for a minute.

4. Pour the above temper mixture over curd rice and mix well.

5. Garnish the Curd rice with either small pieces of carrots,pomegranates,grapes or even small pieces of cashews.



Notes,Tips & Add-On's

  1. I always like curd rice in its virgin form, So I have used less ingredients for tempering and garnishing.
  2. In case, the curd rice becomes hard, you can add some milk and salt and adjust accordingly.
  3. Tastes best when served with mango pickle.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations and all the best

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curd rice looks yummy yummy and my mouth is watering to taste it immediately. Great job Gayathri. To add on just try adding little ginger and a table spoon of asodofodia to it that will increase the flavour it's my way of preparing curd rice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi vivek... Very true.... We can even try that...I wanted to have it very simple and hence did not use much add-on's :)

      Delete